Friday, March 07, 2008

turtles all the way down...

This morning i woke up early feeling very hungry. I sleepily wandered into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of milk, mixed in sugar and coffee, sat and stirred it until it was nice and frothy.
i was hungry but very very sleepy... so i decided to put my glass of cold coffee next to my night lamp, and lie down, intending to sip it every now and then...

Soon i fell asleep.

I my dream i was still hungry, and still in my bed, i reached over to the night lamp and was surprised to see that my glass was not there! i got up and looked all around my apartment... then the dream took over. there are spaces that i visit often in my dreams. I have never really seen them, but from dream to dream i seem to revisit them. Its almost like a Yoshifumi Kondō film. There are long sequences in my dreams of the path i take to reach the place... secret shortcuts, little hiding places, clearings, alleys...

I visited ALL those places looking for the glass of cold coffee.

Finally i gave up... in my dream i thought that maybe, i just dreamt that i made cold coffee, and actually i never made it...

i was just thinking of making another glass for myself when i woke up... and saw the cold coffee right next to the night lamp...

I had to laugh!

But thats got me pretty worried about whether i am really AWAKE this time!


(if the title does not make sense, then read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down )

2 comments:

Dispatch Swiftly said...

Brilliant!! Life is but a dream. I'm sure even cold coffee has its place somewhere, in the Larger Cosmic Picture!

Peggy Mohan said...

I once had such a place that I saw in dreams. Then one day, to my shock, I saw it in a film!!! It existed!!!

Suppose I had never dreamt it...?