Monday, July 07, 2008

washing the mud off my stripes


When I was 12 I sat in front of the mirror and slowly painted my whole face brown. I wanted to see what I would have looked like if I wasn't a 'zebra' as my mother called us. After finishing, my heart sank cause everything looked wrong. My eyes, my lips, my hair… nothing went with the brown.

And many times I just lied brown. I told people that my mother was an INDIAN from Trinidad, and that I was in fact completely Indian. I learnt the rules – that I could never correct people's English, but everybody could correct my hindi. I learnt that people who 'hated' fair skin, were good people, and people who hated dark skin were bad.

But its been some time now …

I now introduce myself as part Trinidadian. I talk about my grandmother who was from Canada. My accents not changed a notch… and I want to go back to India, after seeing a bit more of this side of the world.

Cause i do owe 'this side of the world'. This one year here HAS changed something very deeply. this was the first time when i introduced myself as Indian, i didn't have to explain my color, or make excuses for it, i WAS what i said i was. It even struck me that if i said i was American, if ANYBODY said they were American, it would be accepted without a blink of an eyelid, without the need for any explanation of color of skin. there might be undercurrents that i don't see, but there is a difference, - prejudice is not a subject of pride. and once i didn't have to fight to be seen as an indian, another door opened in my mind... my real roots. I didn't feel the need to lie anymore. No more excuses, no more fudged history.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

ure right..some truly honest stuff in there. next blog should be about them feet!

Ashish Dharmadhikari is said...

Congratulations. Seriously.

And I'm glad to see some of the true glorious spirit of 'melting-pot' America survives. It's nice to hear some praise for otherwise much-maligned America and Americans. Hopefully I'll come there to re-discover my own non-Indian roots :). Yay!

Dispatch Swiftly said...

Superb! Very thought-provoking and personal. A change from your usual Whacky Idea Of The Month detours(which I love reading too).

silhouette said...

Weirdly enough. II was always proud of YOUR zebraness. Funny, eh? What things kids are proud of. What things kids regard as achievements.
This post was beautifully written.
I'm glad there's no impulse to fudge history now.

Peggy Mohan said...

Just as I am getting out of the need to say 'I'm Indian!' too. I find that being up front just saves a lot of time (as no here believes me, anyway!).

And there are always those, even in India, who are disappointed to find that I was 'just' an Indian. They thought I might have a more unusual story to tell...

Maybe you and I didn't give this place a chance...

Junuka said...

great shivani.
felt good to read.

vasudevam said...

got to read after long time. howz life at IITC? best wishes

Sahil said...

No more excuses, no more fudged history.
Amen to that!
And keep writing... This blog's becoming a good place to keep coming back to... :)

Jadedism said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megha said...

This post got me thinking of my own peculiar experience. I've always been and claimed to be an Indian my whole life and no one questioned it, all the jokes about me living near the American embassy notwithstanding. But here in Munich no one believes me when I say I am Indian. They always respond by saying "yeah but you're really Canadian right?" and once even "why aren't you Canadian"? Because my, hold your breadth, English, especially my accent is too good!

As much as skin colour is and has been for a long time an important part of one's personal identity and a source of both pride and prejudice, I think increasingly, accent is playing a more and more significant role. More and more people I meet tell me that how they speak English seems to determine how they will be treated. Traditionally, I think accent has always denoted one's class, but with globalization, it's begun to reflect one's nationality too.

I wonder how this affects one's own perception of one's identify. When I walk around sporting this new accent (if indeed I do) am I choosing to selectively own and disown parts of my past?

Goes without saying- t'was a very well-written entry, oh and sorry for the looong comment.